IBM Notes client is a desktop application developed by IBM Software Group. Notes/Domino provides a very granular security model that allows a developer to "lock down" access to all or parts of a database. You can combine public & private data within a single database or across a single server.
The advanced replication technology helps the user to remain productive even when not connected to the network. The Notes client can also be used as a platform for interacting with collaborative applications. Earlier the most common applications were simple contact management or threaded discussions. Today, it also provides blogs, RSS aggregators and many other custom applications which can be built using Domino Designer. There are many useful IBM Notes applications such as Web Enabled Applications, Notes Client Applications, Java Applications and Applications for mobile and wireless clients.
IBM Notes Application Development can be useful in a number of functional areas like E-Commerce, HR Applications, Intranets, Travel Management and Relationship Management Applications like Customer Relationship Management, Content Management Solutions etc.
IBM Notes Domino Workflow is a ready to use application requiring very little expertise and it is very easy to learn. The application can easily be incorporated in management practices at any point of time. Its function starts from the filling up of the requisition form in the database including the kind of manpower required. Right from the creation of the requisition form to the process of final induction, everything is done in a planned manner - clear and simple -through the IBM Notes Domino Workflow Application.
Key Features of IBM Notes
- It provides a robust and productive user experience with a single point of access to email, calendars, contacts, activities, instant messaging, feeds, office documents, collaboration tools and business applications.
- It helps users to manage their ever-growing inboxes effectively, with full-text search, delegation, mail filtering and sorting, conversation views and flags.
- It further helps users to increase productivity with customizable widgets which can recognize specific patterns of text in IBM Notes documents. The recognized text can be clicked to perform the appropriate business action associated with that widget, such as retrieving information from a flight number in an e-mail.
- It gives to users a facility of instantly locating and connecting with resources via presence awareness, business cards and instant messaging incorporated in context within the inbox and calendar.
- It is equipped in minimizing or eliminating the impact of computer viruses through robust security features.
- It helps drive business value through composite application technology that allows you to integrate and present line-of-business solutions and data from multiple systems into a single view for end-users.
- With the presence of advanced replication technology, IBM Notes enables the user to remain productive even when he/she is disconnected with the network.
- Web application creation that includes intranet portal.
- Integration with another database like Oracle, SQL-Server.
- Improve and customize inbuilt lotus tools.
- Development of complimentary tools like domino.doc, IBM Notes work flow application etc.
Built-in IBM Notes applications
A built-in IBM Notes application is the most common type to automate business process and workflow. You can use the following applications: Document Library
Several organizations, running IBM Notes and Domino applications, have been prompted to migrate their Notes based applications to a web-based platform in order to meet evolving business needs and growing user expectations. Migration to a web-based platform also provides the following benefits:
- Reduced dependencies on Notes client
- Access to applications via web and mobile devices
- Updated functionality to fulfill emerging business requirements
- Enhanced Web 2.0 user experience
Advantages of XPages over a non-Domino target platform (Microsoft, .Net, Java, Open Source etc.)Organizations, evaluating multiple target platforms, should consider the following advantages of IBM XPages over other target platforms, including Microsoft, .NET, Java, Open Source, etc.:
- Significantly lower migration and maintenance cost
- Minimized risk of failed or suboptimal deployment
- Protection of prior Notes application investment
- Leveraging critical native Domino capabilities
- No data migration
How can OTS XPages migration services help?OTS can help rapidly migrate your Notes client applications to XPages while completing migration projects within a shortest possible span of time at significantly lower cost and with fewer resources.
OTS migration experts ensure that application migration projects are planned in great detail based on customer specific environment, needs and constraints via a detailed assessment of the environment and discovery of key business and IT priorities. This approach minimizes cost overruns, missed deadlines and interruption of business processes.
Al Shirawi Group of Companies , Dubai
Naveen Sharma,Director and Head of Group Internal Audit,
Al Shirawi Group of Companies, Dubai
Saptharishi RajagopalanFinancial Controller,
ESG Group, Dubai